Sep 13, 2009

What is one of the worst case scenarios that can happen to someone with ocd? To have one of their fears come true. The other day I locked my keys in my car with the ignition on. I left for 30 minutes, came back couldn't find my car keys and then looked in my car. This is the one time in a million I decided not to check my purse a dozen times to make sure I had my keys. In fact I did not check even once... I didn't think about it... my excuse is I am tired because I have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to go to my new job. Unfortunatley, for someone having ocd this will make me justfy - in my mind - that I have to check for my keys a dozen times and while I am at it - check the front door to make sure it's locked, and since I am at the front door why not go inside and check the stove to make sure I turned that off! I told you I get worse when I am stressed out or I guess tired. I have found a routine that does help my ocd and that requires me to be mindful of what I am doing and not put myself on auto pilot especially when I am preparing to leave my house... that is to tell myself out loud that I am turning off the stove... I am locking the front door... I have my keys, etc. The key is to say it out loud - somehow that makes it real to me and I can be assured that I can trust myself and not have to recheck my actions.
Hope your coming work week is good and don't forget to laugh out loud!
xoxo Inge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpHeSKu0_LU

1 comment:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

this sort of adventure always seems to justify ocd...