Feb 9, 2013

Feeling Yin in Winter




I don't know about you but during the winter months I get more lazy, especially if it's cloudy and cold. I want to stay in my jammies and either read or watch movies. I definitely have trouble motivating myself to get off my duff.

A friend who is an acupuncturist told me this is the Yin time of year and its normal. She feels the same way and doesn't really start anything new that is time consuming.


I looked it up and by gosh, she is right. You can read more about it here.   According to Chinese medicine, winter relates to the feminine, called yin and is considered dark, cold and receptive (I don't know if I like the idea that feminine is dark and cold) but it's also a time to go inward...for reflection, which makes sense to me. Its all about staying in balance and I'm all about that. Spring/summer = energy; fall/winter = rest.


I have always been this way and I just thought I was being lazy; now I know I'm just 'reflecting'...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I am a sensitive person and it makes sense that I am sensitive to the change in seasons. I just never looked at it that way before. I can now continue with my reflecting behavior and not feel guilty.


xo    Inge