Sep 9, 2008

Feature Artist







for today is... Samantha the owner and artist of Ones and Zeros Fashions...her shop is located on etsy.com. I decided to let her speak in her own words because there is no way I could describe her life and work better in the standard question and answer form...




I've been interested in vintage clothing and accessories for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Baltimore, and spent alot of time scouring the vintage shops in Fells Point for great finds. My collection is pretty varied, including everything from vintage kimonos to jewelry to tin robots! One of my favorite vintage finds is my Vogue Sewing Book from the 1960s, it is a treasure trove of sewing inspiration and the photographs of sixties fashions are fantastic!



The Lunch Monsters were actually a creation of necessity. I always take my lunch to work, but wasn't satisfied with the waste that brown paper bags create, so last fall I came up with the Lunch Monsters as an insulated and eco-friendly alternative. Once I started carrying Harold around, I began getting orders from friends and family and friends of friends, so I decided to start a shop on Etsy.



I find inspiration in both my natural environment (San Diego is a beautiful city and FULL of inspiration) and also the materials themselves. I love when I'm shopping and suddenly a fabric just jumps out at me, I'm instantly thinking of what I can make with it.


Although I've been sewing since I was about five, my formal training is in Fine Art. I got my BFA in Fiber Art from Maryland Institute College of Art, where I learned everything from drawing and painting to sewing and weaving to digital art. Knowing how to work in all kinds of different media really comes in handy as an Etsy seller, whether I'm creating Lunch Monsters, designing a new business card, photographing products, or sketching ideas for a dress.



In addition to my work on Ones and Zeros Fashions, I also work as a costume tailor for television. It's been a long and interesting journey to get where I am now as an artist, and the best advice I have for aspiring artists is to just get out there and do what you love. Find what inspires you, get involved with other artists who share the same passion, create as much as possible, and no matter what, Don't give up! I've been very lucky to have such a supportive family and group of friends to encourage me along the way. It's taken a lot of hard work and persistence, but to be able to make a living doing what you love is so amazing and totally worth it!




Samantha's shop is fun to visit and find that special gift! Wouldn't you love to have one of her lunch bags to take to work or school? Please stop by her shop




No comments: