Apr 19, 2009

When I was a massage therapist




I had more time to take care of myself... the stuff inside... the spiritual part of me... I meditated daily and even took the city bus to the Zen Center for zazen (sitting meditation). A group of us would sit either cross legged or in chairs (like me, my knees have always disliked sitting cross legged) and quietly meditate. No chanting just quiet. The purpose was to hear things in the environment inside and out and not judge... just listen. I was much calmer back then and I believe it was because of the time I took to reflect and enjoy the quiet with background sounds as they came and went. At the end we would recite as a group the Heart Sutra Chant. The I would ride the San Francsico city bus (with the menagerie of "colorful" riders) back to my 500 square foot apartment... much calmer and ready to take on anything that could come up.

I decided to start back up again but in Chico we do not have a zen center but thanks to the Great Goddess I have access to youtube! I also am keeping a random thought journal...where I write down my morning thoughts before I forget them. Well, actually I stated that today... which is where I am going with this post.... here goes...

"It's quiet... no t.v.- I think it will stay off today. No news to distract me... time for reflection... I have been reading my tarot (online) yes they have free tarot readings! here is the site I use
http://www.ifate.com/tarot_index.html Just remember to write the cards down and their meaning which you can find on another site http://www.discover-the-meaning-of-tarot.com/ I have a seperate journal for that. I do mine monthly and it is keeping me on track. Oh, I got off track... back to the journal reading - I woke up with this song playing in my head "Respect Yourself"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3r2WHjS7iM I think it is an interesting song for today.

I am a big fan of Rachel Ashwell. In the 90s I worked in a bookstore that had a copy of Shabby Chic ... I saved my pennies back then to buy a copy....I was hooked! here was a woman who had a philosophy similar to mine, only she legitimized the style. How sad I was to hear that she has been closing her stores... the economy. I found her blog and she reflects about how she feels about this turn of events and how she copes.... again inspiring even though it is bittersweet... after all we all experience the same ups and downs in life, it is just interesting to see her open up about her "stuff". I think Rachel Ashwell pioneered and changed the way we think about beauty and home decor - hence the name Shabby Chic - the ultimate recycling the old with the new. Words that describe her are trailblazer, inspirational, brave, free spirit, resourceful - she was unafraid to take a chance to try something new. www.rachelashwellshabbychic.blogspot.com/

She is alot like another woman I admire, Coco Chanel another trailblazer except with personal accessories... inventor of the "little black dress"... she helped poor women look and feel glamorous by wearing beautiful costume jewelry which is still aroung today. If it weren't for good costume jewelry I would not own anything, except my silver goodies, I never like diamonds and gold ( I know I need therapy!) but my hubby is grateful! I would rather spend my money on used goodies, handmade stuff, etc. OOPS! there I go again wandering off subject....
Rachels blogging and place in herjourney is reallly not that different than mine, she is just a famous figure and me, I am famous at home... my house... to my critters and hubby. But we are both reinventing ourselves, reflecting on our lives and about to start new beginnings (for me this at least the 4th time)... new home, new city, new environment, new careers. At times it is overwhelming - even scary! I will continue to look to these other women for inspiration, and advice... to follow their lead while leading myself and helping other women.

Actually, our country is also facing some challenges (to say the least) - so many people out of work (13.5% in Chico and the mall just declared bankruptcy!) The reality is many of these people out of work will not get their jobs back (because of outsourcing to cheaper countries) or at least they probably will get similar jobs at a lower rate of pay. Like it or not we have to change our way of thinking... to be creative, to create a new "American Dream" (can you hear the choir of angels yet) -sarcasm- Progress is taking us to a global world and it is not turning back, so we must be willing to reinvent ourselves and take risks. My marine biology professor told us 20 year ago during a field trip to the marine tidepools... we were looking at the grasses growing in the water bobbing back and forth with the waves "the secret to a successful life is to be flexible and hang on !" That's the only lesson I remember, but I think a very important one!

This can be my opportunity, our countries' opportunity to try new things, to reinvent ourselves, to come out better, wiser, and to see things with "fresh eyes"... to dare to be the trailblazers for a better world for future generations! Now get out there and play ball!"
xoxo Inge

No comments: