Feb 12, 2010


Weird thing happened at the Vons parking lot today (our local grocery store). I was about to get in my car when a well dressed man about my age approached me asking for money. Now he wasn't in a suit but nice button up shirt and khakis. He told me he and his wife were in a financial bind and could I help out with a couple of bucks. I asked him where his wife was and he said she is down the street. I tried to "read" him to figure out if he really needed help, but I just didn't know. I didn't have any cash on me anyway, so I told him no. Then I watched where he went. He went over to his car, a Toyota Camry, not brand new but not that old and quite clean. I drove slowly out of the parking lot and observed him approaching someone else.

I thought about this on the way home and I wondered what his story really was. I even felt a bit guilty. What if his story is true and he and his wife are down and out. Maybe she was asking for money down the street. I will never know.

After living in San Francisco several years and being conned out of money from individuals who seemed to need help has left me a bit skeptic. I really don't like feeling that way but I get pretty mad when I realize I have been had.

Hope your day is thought provoking and don't forget to laugh out loud!
xoxo Inge

No comments: