May 31, 2009

When the weather is warmer I need less sleep

So I usually start my day at 7:30 am... I know to most of you this is sleeping in but for most of my adult I have been fortunate enough to work afternoon to eve hours. When I did massage I made my own hours. Luckily John and I are both "night owls" and I usually stay up to 1 am, John stays up later sometimes 3 am on his days off. Anyway I decided to use my early hours wisely and quietly because John still sleeps until at least 9 am... do quiet meditation and read some inspiring books. I do like to read but the world has become an easy distraction and I end up watching or listening to tv... mainly during the week.

I am a CNN and CNBC junkie. I became seriously interested in the news when CNN did nonstop reporting of the Tinnamon Square uprising back in the 80s. I will never forget that scene where the student stood in front of that huge tank. I was hooked at that point and it probably started my interest in politics and civil disobedience. When I lived in SF I protested a fair amount, especially when there were rumblings of starting a 2nd Iraq war.

Anyways, I am rambling and getting off point. The book I found at the library is called " The Big Bang, the Buddha, and the Baby Boom" by Wes "Scoop" Nisker. The book is entertaining but there was a quote that really stood out for me..."My mind has a mind of it's own". How true is that! It gets back to my earlier blog...how hard it is to meditate and keep the mind from idle chatter!

No comments: