Aug 31, 2009

I got my paperwork for my new job emailed to me today. Boy was there alot of stuff to give my ok on. I remember when all I needed was a phone number and reliable transportation to get a job. Now I had to agree to - A criminal background check, sex offender check, ss check, consumer report, DMV, college degree check. I mean honestly, you would think I am applying with the FBI! I think the rules changed the day we gave over our rights in exchange for our security... homeland security that is! I really do believe that! But when I tried to find out how I can protect myself from renting a home that is in foreclosure, I found out I really can't. I just have to keep my fingers crossed the owner of the property is honest and actually pays the mortgage with my rent. Jeeeez!

Since I'm on the subject of looking for rentals, let me tell you there are tons out there... condos and apartments that is ... houses not so much. I spent hours looking through craigslist and the internet and most of the rentals were offered by a rental agency or property management. There was one in particular... they had 5 listings but the catch was that I had to go their office to find out the address. So I did. Why not. The first red flag was their office was in a run down mostly empty strip mall. Then when I opened the front door and I saw 4 desks lined up behind each other with 20 somethings sitting behind these desks. The only thing on these desks were telephones. No computers. No pictures of rentals on the walls. Nothing. It looked to me that if the cops showed up they could run out the back door in 10 seconds and no one would know they were there. I decided to go along with it... do some small talk and all just to see what the deal was. Joe went in the back room to get a contract for me to fill out and then asked for $195 so I could look at a couple of rentals. Now I'm not the smartest person in the world but I know a scam when I see one... so I told Joe that I had to get permission from my husband before I could commit to that. Joe assured me that the $195 was refundable if they could not find me a house to rent or if I found one on my own... I just needed to bring in my rental agreement and then I could apply for the refund minus $50 for a credit check. hmmmmm.

So I went to my car and called James, my son to look up this place on the internet and find out more about this place. It seems the BBB gives them a rating of F and not for Fabulous! It seems that these guys like to take $195 from as many dumb people that they can and then not give refunds. They also give addresses of homes that are not for rent, take listings from the newspapers, or just plain make stuff up in hopes that people will get mad... then give up and go away... gambling that they will not end up in small claims court for $195. Well I say to them Shame! Shame! Shame! What the heck is wrong with people? Can't they use their talents for good not evil?

In my travels I did find myself getting hungry so I stopped in this little Mexican restaurant to get a bite. The BBB would rate this place A+. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and the price very reasonable. The name of this place is La Torta Loca... which I think means the crazy tortoise. If you are in Santa Ana, CA be sure to stop in. Here is their location
La Torta Loca No. 1 - 2031 E 1st St. Santa Ana, CA 92705-4018 (714) 834-1817‎.
Hope your week is going good!
Don't forget to laugh out loud!
xoxo Inge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyf7QIqIHl8

No comments: